Thursday, April 10, 2008

Drawing Kids

So I'm sitting in my dentist's office the other day, leafing through the magazine stack. Motor Trend or Family Fun. Tough choice. (I chose Family Fun). And I realized, being child-deficient myself, that kids magazines are a pretty good source of photo references of kids! Not better than drawing from life, but should tide me over until it's nice enough to hang out around the playground, looking slightly pervy. Lucky thing I'm a woman. How do other childless illustrators draw from life? (Anybodeee? Anybodeee?)


So I did these sketches from my newly-purchased copies of Family Fun and Baby Couture ("We Put the 'coo' in Couture". No joke, that's their slogan). It was pretty fun to bring those magazines home to give my fiance (of all of 2 months) a heart attack.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What would be awesome is if "Motor Trend" and "Family Fun" somehow combined into one magazine. I'm envisioning ads for baby toys made from spark plugs...

Not having kids myself, I understand your problem too well! When I was teaching I took full advantage of having so many different kids around and took lots of pictures. Sometimes they'd pose (and really enjoyed hamming it up), and sometimes I'd go all "ninja cam" and take pictures when they were too busy with the art activities to notice. I also exploit my plethora of young cousins, nieces, and nephews with their parents' help.

If I find images in magazines or the internet that I like, I'll store them on my computer in my picture database. I miss RISD's Picture Collection something fierce, but it would be such a fire hazard to keep paper files of everything I've collected.

And heaven only knows the kind of excited reaction my mother-in-law would have if the Hubs and I kept copies of "Baby Coutoure" around. I asked her once if the 6 grandchildren she already has were enough, and she replied, "Oh no, you can never have enough grandchildren!" :)

Vicki said...

Ha! I like the Motor Trend/Family Fun hybrid. I picture (alongside the spark plug toys) babies dressed up, Anne-Geddes-style, as carburators, mufflers, etc.

Yeah, I wish I lived closer to my adorable niece...