Friday, January 4, 2008

Reviews and Whatnot!

I think I will become a real nutjob when my own books are sent out for reviews. I didn't think it would bother me- after all, I've sat through my share of scathing critiques at RISD. And yet, when I saw that a review of The Gollywhopper Games had come out, I got all sorts of jittery. Luckily, the review mentions my illustrations positively; the Booklist review says the book has "appealing pencil illustrations". !!! They are not really pencil, but hey, I will not complain! I'm very happy with my first official review. I have a few of the illustrations on my website, but here are 2 others that I didn't put up...

These are twin bullies, not a trippy "looking at oneself" illustration.

And cake, because I do love cake.

There was also a mention of a book jacket I designed in a review for Do the Math: Secrets, Lies, and Algebra. The Book Review said, "The title and cover are fun; put the book on display and it's likely to circulate." Well, this review also made me feel better, as the jacket I designed was actually changed for the paperback. Here's the hardcover...


And here's the paperback. Also designed by me, actually. More girly, less math-y. And you'll notice that "Do the Math " has been removed from the front cover. Funny, the changes we are asked to make sometimes! By the way, I highly recommend this book, and its sequel, The Writing on the Wall. Really engaging, and a very likeable main character. Even for a math-a-phobe like myself.

2 comments:

Jody Feldman said...

Glad to know I haven't been the only one with jitters!
:o)
Jody

Vicki said...

Well, I'm sure I'm not as nervous/slash/excited as you! I'm glad we finally got a cover for you- I can't wait to see it on the bookshelves!

Vicki