Friday, January 23, 2009

For the Birds

I have been distracted from my blog-reading and upkeep duties, as I've been preparing for my wedding in TWO WEEKS! My creative outlets have been of the crafty variety recently- including the centerpieces for the tables. When I say I have been making the centerpieces, what I really mean of course is that I made a prototype, then employed an Andy Warhol-type factory of sweatshop laborers (my mother, bless her) to do my bidding.

*Spoiler alert: If you are actually invited to my wedding & want to be surprised by the favors, don't read ahead. Second spoiler alert: If you're still waiting for your invitation in the mail... don't hold your breath.*

If  you'll remember from a few posts back, my invitations featured birds:


And since Martha Stewart says that weddings are all about the theme, I wanted to make something birdy for the favors/slash/centerpieces. 


Bird tree ornaments! That will hang from some dead branches from the yard in the middle of each table. Oh, don't worry, it's going to be pretty, you'll see.

That's me sweating! See, it's a sweatshop, get it? Two of my lovely bridesmaids are helping me out this shift. See, it's not really a sweatshop, I let them eat! ONE banana each.

Aren't they grea.. Hey, what's this! Quit goofing off! I don't pay you those bananas to monkey around!

Here is the tray of bird eyeballs (EXPERTLY hand-dipped by my dad! Who said I got my artistic bend from my mom?!)

Some birds with their nose jobs...

and some top hats...


...and 116-odd birds awaiting their accessories!

My mother really is a saint for making 97% of these birds- Thanks, Ma! 

I'll post some pictures post-wedding of the final displays!



3 comments:

Kristi Valiant said...

Oh, that's going to look so suave and elegant. What a totally fun idea!

Nina Crittenden said...

Oh, the top hats! So sweet! I can't wait to see how it looks!

Vicki said...

Thanks, guys! I totally think my mom should go into business.