Monday, August 17, 2009

Look What I Found in the Park the Other Day

Hey, look what I found in the park the other day:


A fairy flute! No unicorns have been summoned yet by playing it.

In other news, work on my latest project is going well!


Doesn't that picture look creepy? Like I'm looking at my sketchbook with those weird "Silence of the Lambs" night goggles?

Anyway, I am at the frustrating yet enjoyable stage of being excited by how things are going, but completely unable to share this excitement with anyone. I can't show anyone my drawings- they all look like the scribbles you see above. I can't really talk about the story... "And then the fly says- get this, he says, 'It doesn't help'. Believe me, it's a GAS." No, it's all in my head for now. I think that's why I feel a sense of urgency at this point- in my head it's a good story with lush and interesting illustrations, but it won't do anyone any good until I get it down on paper. And, what if the things I put down on paper don't match up with what's playing in my noggin?


Another interesting thing about working on this project has been this: This is the first project I've worked on as a real, honest-to-goodness full-time illustrator. My other two books I developed while I had a full-time job. I worked on them at night, during my free time- my hours to do with as I pleased. Now, I get to work on this during regular work-a-day hours. Like, instead of heading to a meeting at 10 am, I'm in my PJs watching "Fame" and calling it research (and it most assuredly was). Believe me, I am not complaining about watching musicals in the mid-morning; it's just an adjustment in thinking from "This is something I am doing in my hours of leisure" to "Holy shnikeys, this is like, my JOB". Which means, I am also a leeeetle bit more worried about how it will be received ("Will my agent like it?" "Is this a good idea, or have I been wasting my time?" "Can I please please PLEASE keep doing this full-time and not have to get another day job?"). 

The only thing I can do is to try & push those concerns out of my head as much as possible, and throw myself into the project whole-heartedly... and hope for the best!

3 comments:

Kristi Valiant said...

A theater book - what a great way to have to watch musicals all day! I love the sketch of the ladybug and fly peeking through the curtain. I know exactly how you feel on the story and illos working in your head, but not sure how it'll translate to paper. I've finally been able to get back to working on my own dummy - the dancing penguin one - and it's so much fun.

Nina Crittenden said...

I agree with Kristi, the bugs are darling!
You are awful clever and very talented... just enjoy yourself because I'd bet you 20 bucks you are doing what you are meant to do!

Vicki said...

Thanks, ladies! Kristi, I am SO excited that those penguins will waltz into the world at last! Do you know, those penguins of yours have really stuck with me, and I find myself wondering what they're up to from time to time... And Nina, I may take you up on that bet. If I'm wrong, that 20 bucks may just float my popsicle habit if things turn dire. Sounds win-win to me!