Friday, July 18, 2008

My Two Marathons

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I am currently involved in the marathon called "finishing all of the artwork for my picture book by September". But did you know that I am also currently involved in the other kind of marathon, the 26.2 mile kind?! The NYC marathon is happening on November 2, and barring any injuries, I'll be in it. (and hopefully improving upon my 2003 Sydney marathonn performance- above. You can't really see in the picture, but I am finishing just ahead of a walking guy, and behind him is a really really old lady). At first, I thought it might be a little crazy to attempt to do both at once, but you know what? There will always be "something" preventing me from taking on new challenges, if I let them. And I only have to look to all of the authors and illustrators out there with full time jobs AND with families to take care of for inspiration. I'm sure they could teach me a thing or two about "fatigue" and "heavy workload".

So, last night was my first training group run, and I am happy that I wasn't totally left in the dust during the 5 mile run! Even though I am just home from a week's vacation in Montreal, where I did nothing but eat poutine and sugar pie (not noted in my Runner's World magazine for their health benefits).


If you've never had poutine before, I recommend booking your ticket to Montreal right now. Or, there's actually a restaurant in Brooklyn that serves a passable poutine. Bonus: Restaurant shares the name of my favorite animal!

3 comments:

Adam said...

Wow. How could I *not* go grab a meal with fancy French pronunciation at a place called Sheep Station? C'est magnifique.

Vicki said...

Don't let the fancy pronunciation fool you- it's about the un-fanciest meal you could fancy. The ingredients:

1) french fries
2) gravy
3) cheese curds

All mixed up in a bowl & served piping hot. Yum!

alvinaling said...

Wow, this post features two of my favorite things. Running and poutine. I'm heading up to Montreal for Labor Day weekend, and you can bet I'll be having poutine! (the Frites place in the East Village also serves poutine, btw!)

Good luck with the marathon, I'll be cheering! It's such a great route.