Thursday, August 14, 2008

You're the meaning in my life, you're the inspiration

...Richard Scarry. Ok, maybe not "the meaning in my life". But certainly an inspiration that oddly enough, I hadn't realized until I stumbled upon one of his titles while searching for something on Amazon the other day.


I used to LOVE these books as a kid, poring over all of the details in the town. In the same way, I loved Where's Waldo, too. Not so much the actual searching for Waldo, but just reading the stories in the illustrations.


As I was scanning some of the pieces for Bea Rocks the Flock, I said to myself, "Hmm. Many of these pieces are very highly populated. That's odd." Not so odd anymore.


3 comments:

Adam said...

Richard Scarry was one of my faves, too! 1970s Mercer Mayer, Phillipe Fix and Jack Kent as well.

THanks for the fo-one-one about the sock puppet phenomenon. I had noooo idea...

cheers!

Unknown said...

Great to see your work in progress!! Lovely works!

Vicki said...

Thanks, Alina!

I liked Mercer Mayer, too, but I was more of a Berenstain Bears fan than a Little Critter fan (what WAS he, exactly?)

I also loved Tomie dePaola. Nana Upstairs, Nana Downstairs? Get me my box of tissues!